Saturday, February 1, 2014

DID YOU KNOW THAT?

On this day in history, February 1, 1871, Georgia Republican Congressman Jefferson Franklin Long delivered a speech in opposition to an amendment to the Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871. The amendment restored political rights to members of the Klan.

Congress was debating whether or not to support the Ku Klux Klan Act, which gave Congress the authority to send federal troops into southern states to deal with Klan violence.

During his speech Long said, "We propose, sir, to remove p...olitical disabilities from the very men who were the leaders of the Ku Klux and who have committed midnight outrages. I think I am doing my duty to my constituents and my duty to my country when I vote against any such proposition."

"As a man raised as a slave, my mother a slave before me, and my ancestry slaves as far back as I can trace them, yet holding no animosity to the law-abiding people of my State, and those who are willing to stand by the Government, still I propose...not to vote for any modification of the test-oath in favor of disloyal men."

"If this House removes the disabilities of disloyal men by modifying the test-oath, I venture to prophesy you will again have trouble from the very same men who gave you trouble before."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment